The words reflected here represent our shared values. They are a call to action that asks each of us to recommit to a common set of beliefs about how we work. They are our own words…in our own voice. We believe in:
Safety, Integrity, Quality, Respect, Excelling,
Our Core Competencies
The Canadian Blood Services Competency Framework reflects our values and supports our corporate strategy by describing the behaviours that our employees are expected to demonstrate. Our competencies and associated behaviours illustrate how each employee can contribute towards achieving organizational goals on a daily basis. If you would like to join our dynamic team, please familiarize yourself with our core competencies and behaviours.
Our core competencies are:
- Follows through on commitments and ensures that one’s actions are consistent with one’s words.
- Shares information in an open, honest and straightforward manner.
- Maintains a high standard of integrity by being clear about what guides one’s behaviour.
- Demonstrates the courage to say and do what is right despite perceived risk or discomfort.
- Protects confidential information.
- Relates to others in a sincere and respectful manner regardless of their position.
- Performs work in accordance with Canadian Blood Services values, policies and processes.
- Conveys information clearly and succinctly both orally and in writing.
- Actively listens to others and remains fully present in the conversation.
- Engages in open dialogue with others, promoting information flow across the organization.
- Shares knowledge and expresses viewpoints openly and respectfully.
- Adapts communication to the needs of the audience.
- Seeks to understand others’ viewpoints and asks questions to clarify understanding.
Be a Team Player
- Puts the goals and interests of the team and Canadian Blood Services before one’s own.
- Collaborates with people from diverse backgrounds and areas of the organization.
- Readily offers support, encouragement and constructive feedback to others.
- Values and acknowledges others’ viewpoints and contributions, even those that oppose one’s own ideas.
- Seeks input and feedback from others when making decisions that affect them.
- Prevents and resolves conflict with other team members in a timely manner.
Participate in Change
- Seeks to understand the need and vision for change.
- Respectfully questions status quo when it no longer meets business goals or customer needs.
- Initiates one’s own involvement in change and is willing to take on new responsibilities.
- Engages in continuous learning.
- Supports organizational change by exploring different ways of doing things.
- Maintains a positive outlook and focus on opportunities, even in stressful or difficult situations.
- Accepts accountability for one’s own performance and actions.
- Clearly understands customer needs and how one contributes to meeting them in own work.
- Prioritizes activities based on the value they add to organizational goals.
- Identifies and mitigates risks involving others as needed.
- Identifies and recommends new ideas or solutions to improve quality, productivity and performance.
- Remains focused on business objectives and outcomes despite obstacles or setbacks.