Before Brandon came to work for us, transfusions saved his life
As a community development manager with our Ottawa team, increasing awareness of the need for blood products is a big part of Brandon Peacock’s day-to-day work. But his favourite part of the job is thanking donors. And he has good reason. In June 2020, on his way to get a haircut, Brandon became a victim of gun violence. One of three bullets that hit Brandon went through his femoral artery, the main blood vessel supplying blood to the lower body. He was losing blood at a life-threatening rate. First responders acted quickly and got Brandon to the hospital where he received three blood transfusions within 24 hours. Read more about Brandon’s story on Connect.
Sign up now for LifeSpeak’s Nourishing Personal Growth campaign
September often feels like an opportunity for new beginnings. To channel that sense of renewal, LifeSpeak is offering a month-long campaign, starting Sept. 5 and running until Sept. 30, on nourishing personal growth. Each week focuses on a different theme:
- Week 1: Embracing diversity, equity and inclusion
- Week 2: Building strong relationships
- Week 3: Personal development in the workplace
- Week 4: Unleashing your authentic self
Sign up and receive weekly emails with details and suggestions that fit within each theme. More information can be found on LifeSpeak using login blood.lifespeak.com and access ID thrive. If you have questions or would like to sign up for our monthly wellness newsletter, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back-to-school: Resiliency resources
The last topic of our back-to-school series focuses on everyone. Many of us have had to dig deep to discover ways of being resilient over the past two and a half years. We have all been challenged at home and at work, and we’ve navigated the best we could, sometimes even finding wonderful opportunities to connect with others. Along with ComPsych's back-to-school tips and tricks, they’ve also put together a suite of resiliency resources to help all of us with:
- resiliency during tough times
- navigating organizational change
- resilience in stressful times
- identifying and coping with job-related stress
- tips for coping with stress
Continue to connect with your colleagues on Yammer — check out the hashtag #BackToSchool2022.
Question of the day
I spend a lot of time trying to find files, Teams messages and important emails. Do you have any tips on how I can get to the information I need faster?
There are many tips and tricks for improving the employee experience with Microsoft Office 365 highlighted in our Live Learning sessions, held online each month. These sessions, led by specialist, Tim Wehrle, are open to all employees and focus on improving the usability of our cloud-based office suite. For example, here are a few things you can learn to help you find and organize files and messages.
- How to start your search from where it's most convenient for you: Teams, Outlook, SharePoint web page, Edge web browser, or your Windows desktop. These apps can all ‘find’ files.
- How to set up ‘Search Folders’ in Outlook and pin them to your Favourites
- How to use the Delve app in Microsoft 365 to find files that you and your colleagues are working on
- How to use OneDrive's "shared" view to see all the files that others have shared with you by link or attachment
Sign up anytime for a Live Learning for Productivity and Collaboration app session. New sessions are starting in September. Visit our Microsoft 365 Learning Library for tips and good online practices.