Donor Care Associate (Phlebotomist)
Somewhere in Canada there’s a life you can save.
Be part of a dynamic, collaborative and caring organization committed to saving and improving the lives of Canadians. Thousands of Canadians depend on us every day for reliable access to safe blood, plasma, stem cells and organs and tissues.
Join Canada’s Lifeline and make a meaningful difference every day.
About the role
Canadian Blood Services is looking for two Regular Part-Time Donor Care Associates (DCA) to join our dynamic clinic team in Oshawa. In this role, you will be working face-to-face with our donors, clinic team members and volunteers and providing them with safe and quality service during each phase of the collection process. Through interacting with our healthy donors, you will play an integral role in building and promoting a positive donor experience.
Key responsibilities include:
- Conducting donor registration and confidential screening to determine eligibility and consent
- Assisting in the collection of whole blood and apheresis blood components, in accordance with health and safety standards, to provide life-saving treatments for Canadians
- Monitoring donors for safety and comfort, providing post donation care and instructions
- Preparing units, specimens and documents for the production site
- Assisting in set-up and tear down of equipment and supplies
- Promoting a positive donor experience through exceptional customer service and respect for donor privacy in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Completion of High School education or equivalent; successful completion of a formal training program in
phlebotomy is an asset
- One year related experience is required
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork and customer service skills
- Previous work experience with the public, particularly in a health care environment is an asset
- Ability to learn technical tasks related to blood collection
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job
- Ability to work variable shifts - days, evenings, weekends and holidays
- Starting rate: $24.90/Hourly
- Payments in lieu for vacation, holidays and benefits
- Choice of to joined the defined benefits pension plan
- Provided uniforms
- Employee discounts, wellness program, and much more
Diversity and inclusion play a vital role in ensuring health equity for patients across Canada. We are committed to reflecting Canada’s population in our organization and fostering an environment where all employees can be their authentic selves, with equal opportunities to succeed and contribute.
If this role resonates with you, we encourage you to apply! This could be your first step towards a meaningful and inspiring career. Come to work each day knowing that you save lives.
*Please note that only candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with us.
Questions and Answers
Is my application secure?
Canadian Blood Services uses a third-party applicant tracking system hosted by SilkRoad. SilkRoad may access the information submitted to the applicant tracking system in order to provide support to Canadian Blood Services. Only Canadian Blood Services, SilkRoad, and the applicant have access to information submitted by the applicant to the applicant tracking system.
Who do I contact if I have questions about a posting or the submission process?
If you want to know more about a career with us or how to apply, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the working language?
The working language at Canadian Blood Services is English. Some positions do have additional language requirements, other than English, and these requirements will be indicated on the job posting. Fluency in English is a bona fide occupational requirement for all positions.
It is recommended that resumes be provided in English to ensure maximum visibility by our recruiters. Resumes provided in French will be translated by our internal translation department. Our selection process, including applicant pre-screening and interviews, is in English.
I have already applied to a position, how do I update my resume for it?
If you have already applied to a position and would like to update your resume, please forward it to HR.RecruitmentCentre@blood.ca and reference the tracking code.