Somewhere in Canada there’s a life you can save.
Be part of a dynamic, collaborative and caring organization committed to saving and improving the lives of Canadians. Thousands of Canadians depend on us every day for reliable access to safe blood, plasma, stem cells and organs and tissues.
Join Canada’s Lifeline and make a meaningful difference every day.
About the role
Canadian Blood Services is looking for a Regular Part-Time Staff Nurse to join our dynamic Clinic team in Halifax/Dartmouth. In this role, you will perform duties related to the safe and efficient collection of blood or blood components that meet hospital requirements which may include whole blood, autologous/directed, and apheresis. Through interacting with our healthy donors, you will play an integral role in building and promoting a positive donor experience.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provides guidance to the clinic staff performing donor screening as per the standard consultation process. Promotes and supports knowledge transfer and progressive learning and development. Assists with and/or resolves donor screening situations when consulted by clinic staff
- Platelet apheresis (training will be provided)
- Performs Charge Nurse and Nurse Consulting duties
- Performs collection procedures according to established standards
- Monitors safety, comfort and status of donor during collection procedures
- Acts as role model in the delivery of customer service excellence
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program is required
- Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in Nova Scotia
- 1-3 years’ active nursing experience
- Availability to travel on a regular basis, including overnights
- Computer skills including word processing
- Previous experience as a preceptor and/or coaching others to enhance job performance an asset
- Previous experience in a regulatory environment and/or blood collection environment an asset
- Proven effective interpersonal, facilitation and written and verbal communication skills in English
- Payments in lieu for vacation and holidays
- Choice of defined contribution or defined benefit pension plan
- Employee discounts, wellness program, and more
Diversity and inclusion play a vital role in ensuring health equity for patients across Canada. We are committed to reflecting Canada’s population in our organization and fostering an environment where all employees can be their authentic selves, with equal opportunities to succeed and contribute.
If this role resonates with you, we encourage you to apply! This could be your first step towards a meaningful and inspiring career. Come to work each day knowing that you save lives.
*Please note that only candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with us.
Questions and Answers
Is my application secure?
Canadian Blood Services uses a third-party applicant tracking system hosted by SilkRoad. SilkRoad may access the information submitted to the applicant tracking system in order to provide support to Canadian Blood Services. Only Canadian Blood Services, SilkRoad, and the applicant have access to information submitted by the applicant to the applicant tracking system.
Who do I contact if I have questions about a posting or the submission process?
If you want to know more about a career with us or how to apply, please send us an email at email@example.com.
What is the working language?
The working language at Canadian Blood Services is English. Some positions do have additional language requirements, other than English, and these requirements will be indicated on the job posting. Fluency in English is a bona fide occupational requirement for all positions.
It is recommended that resumes be provided in English to ensure maximum visibility by our recruiters. Resumes provided in French will be translated by our internal translation department. Our selection process, including applicant pre-screening and interviews, is in English.
I have already applied to a position, how do I update my resume for it?
If you have already applied to a position and would like to update your resume, please forward it to HR.RecruitmentCentre@blood.ca and reference the tracking code.