Medical Laboratory Technologist, Bacterial Identification, Testing
Somewhere in Canada there’s a life you can save.
Be part of a dynamic, collaborative and caring organization committed to saving and improving the lives of Canadians. Thousands of Canadians depend on us every day for reliable access to safe blood, plasma, stem cells and organs and tissues.
Join Canada’s Lifeline and make a meaningful difference every day.
About the role
Canadian Blood Services is looking for Regular Part-Time Medical Laboratory Technologist - Bacterial Confirmatory and Identification to join our dynamic Donor Testing Team in Brampton, Ontario. In this role you will perform and record all testing related quality control/assurance activities related to the performance of Bacterial Identification and Product Quality Control testing. You will verify and document routine maintenance and verification procedures of laboratory equipment in accordance with approved work instructions and regulatory requirements. You will maintain technical competency, promote continuous learning and facilitate and/or participate in ongoing related quality improvement activities or special projects. Key responsibilities include:
- Performs Bacterial Confirmatory and Identification testing, following work instructions.
- Performs and records all Bacterial Confirmatory and Identification testing related quality control/assurance activities.
- Performs routine maintenance and verification procedures of laboratory equipment in accordance with approved work instructions and regulatory requirements.
- Maintains technical competency and participates in continuous learning and quality improvements.
- Participates in ongoing testing related quality improvement activities or special projects.
- Performs general duties within the Product Quality Control Testing laboratory.
Education, Training and Experience:
- Certified general Medical Laboratory Technologist with College of Medical Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO) or Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) in all related disciplines related to job function.
- Minimum 6 months of recent laboratory experience in a Bacteriology Laboratory is required.
- Previous GMP experience preferred.
Demonstrated Skills and Abilities:
- Must have experience with analytical testing software associated with automated test equipment.
- Must demonstrate an understanding and working knowledge of Bacterial Confirmatory and Identification Testing principles, procedures, and instrumentation.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) and Outlook.
- Must have the ability to work independently and as a member of the team.
- Must have the physical abilities and fine motor skills to carry out the duties of the job.
- Must have the ability to work all shifts, including weekends as operationally required.
- Must have the ability to operate and troubleshoot automated equipment.
- Must be able to function effectively under pressure in a fast-paced work environment.
- Must have attention to detail and the ability to perform detailed documentation in an accurate and legible manner.
- Demonstrated analytical problem solving and decision-making skills required.
- Starting rate: $33.00/Hourly
- Payments in lieu for vacation, holidays and benefits
- Choice of defined contribution or benefits pension plan
- Provided uniforms
- Employee discounts, wellness program, and much more
Diversity and inclusion play a vital role in ensuring health equity for patients across Canada. We are committed to reflecting Canada’s population in our organization and fostering an environment where all employees can be their authentic selves, with equal opportunities to succeed and contribute.
If this role resonates with you, we encourage you to apply! This could be your first step towards a meaningful and inspiring career. Come to work each day knowing that you save lives.
*Please note that only candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with us.
Questions and Answers
Is my application secure?
Canadian Blood Services uses a third-party applicant tracking system hosted by SilkRoad. SilkRoad may access the information submitted to the applicant tracking system in order to provide support to Canadian Blood Services. Only Canadian Blood Services, SilkRoad, and the applicant have access to information submitted by the applicant to the applicant tracking system.
Who do I contact if I have questions about a posting or the submission process?
If you want to know more about a career with us or how to apply, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the working language?
The working language at Canadian Blood Services is English. Some positions do have additional language requirements, other than English, and these requirements will be indicated on the job posting. Fluency in English is a bona fide occupational requirement for all positions.
It is recommended that resumes be provided in English to ensure maximum visibility by our recruiters. Resumes provided in French will be translated by our internal translation department. Our selection process, including applicant pre-screening and interviews, is in English.
I have already applied to a position, how do I update my resume for it?
If you have already applied to a position and would like to update your resume, please forward it to HR.RecruitmentCentre@blood.ca and reference the tracking code.