Donor Care Associate (Phlebotomist)
Join Canada’s Lifeline!
We are currently seeking two Temporary Part-Time Donor Care Associate to join our team in Peterborough.
Be part of a dynamic, innovative, collaborative, diverse and caring organization committed to saving and improving the lives of Canadians. We are the connection between the sincere generosity of donors, and the heartfelt appreciation of recipients. Thousands of Canadians depend on our programs every day for reliable access to safe blood, plasma, stem cells, organs and tissues.
In this role you will perform assigned duties to assist in the collection of whole blood and apheresis blood components as well as other related functions in the Clinic Services Department. You will provide safe and effective standards of service to all customers including donors, staff and volunteers during each phase of the collection process.
Are you ready to embark on a meaningful and inspiring journey, where what you do matters? Be part of Canada’s lifeline. Because we can all be the reason, the connection, that keeps Canadians living.
- Performs venipuncture according to established standards; assembles and prepares supplies, equipment and associated records
- Completes donor registration
- Performs confidential donor screening to determine eligibility and consent
- Refer/Consults the Staff Nurse when donor eligibility is in question
- Monitors donor for safety and comfort, provides post donation care and instruction
- Prepares unit, specimens and documents for the laboratory
- Identifies and documents non-conformances
- Promotes a positive donor experience through exceptional customer service and respect for donor privacy
- Assists in set-up and tear down of equipment and supplies
- Cleans, maintains and calibrates equipment
- Projects a positive and professional image, maintains good relations with staff, donors, volunteers and the public
- Assists in the orientation of new employees as required
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Completion of High School education or equivalent; successful completion of a formal training program in phlebotomy is an asset
- One year related experience
- Previous work experience with the public, particularly in a health care environment is an asset
- Computer skills including word processing
- Demonstrated ability to speak and write English clearly
- Well-developed interpersonal and customer service skills are required
- Able to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Ability to learn technical tasks related to blood collection
- Ability to take direction and carry out duties as assigned
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job
- Ability to work variable shifts - days, evenings, weekends and holidays
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.
*Please note that only candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with us.
Questions and Answers
Is my application secure?
Canadian Blood Services uses a third-party applicant tracking system hosted by SilkRoad. SilkRoad may access the information submitted to the applicant tracking system in order to provide support to Canadian Blood Services. Only Canadian Blood Services, SilkRoad, and the applicant have access to information submitted by the applicant to the applicant tracking system.
Who do I contact if I have questions about a posting or the submission process?
If you want to know more about a career with us or how to apply, please send us an email at email@example.com.
What is the working language?
The working language at Canadian Blood Services is English. Some positions do have additional language requirements, other than English, and these requirements will be indicated on the job posting. Fluency in English is a bona fide occupational requirement for all positions.
It is recommended that resumes be provided in English to ensure maximum visibility by our recruiters. Resumes provided in French will be translated by our internal translation department. Our selection process, including applicant pre-screening and interviews, is in English.