Laboratory Assistant - Diagnostic Services
Join Canada’s Lifeline!
We are currently seeking a Temporary Part-Time Laboratory Assistant to join our Diagnostic Services team in Winnipeg.
Be part of a dynamic, innovative, collaborative, diverse and caring organization committed to saving and improving the lives of Canadians. We are the connection between the sincere generosity of donors, and the heartfelt appreciation of recipients. Thousands of Canadians depend on our programs every day for reliable access to safe blood, plasma, stem cells, organs and tissues.
Reporting to the Charge Technologist, Diagnostic Services – Red Cell Serology, you will be required to accession samples for testing, perform routine equipment operation and maintenance, receive stock and returned components into inventory, pack blood components for delivery, prepare phosphate buffered saline, perform reagent lot release and provide general assistance within the laboratory in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Centre Operating Procedures (COPs) under the guidance of a Medical Laboratory Technologist.
Are you ready to embark on a meaningful and inspiring journey, where what you do matters? Be part of Canada’s lifeline. Because we can all be the reason, the connection, that keeps Canadians living.
- Accession patient samples for testing
- Perform routine equipment operation and maintenance
- Receive stock blood components and returned components into inventory and determine if returned components are acceptable for re-distribution.
- Pack blood components for delivery.
- Prepare phosphate buffered saline (PBS) for use on automation.
- Perform reagent lot release
- Maintain and provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Perform work in accordance with the provisions of the Canadian Blood Services Corporate Health and Safety Policies and Procedures.
The job requirements may, on occasion, involve assisting with teaching and training of staff, student technologists and other Health Care professionals and required.
- Secondary School Diploma, preferably with science courses is required.
- Completion of Medical Laboratory Assistant Program or a foreign trained Medical Technologist that does not have registered status in Canada is an asset.
- Previous related experience in a laboratory or similarly regulated environment, including knowledge of general laboratory policies and procedures, medical terminology and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), is an asset; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a good command of the English language.
- Ability to pay attention to details and follow instructions, document work and assume responsibility for own work.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, being able to manage multiple tasks and competing priorities within short timelines.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.
*Please note that only candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with us.
Questions and Answers
Is my application secure?
Canadian Blood Services uses a third-party applicant tracking system hosted by SilkRoad. SilkRoad may access the information submitted to the applicant tracking system in order to provide support to Canadian Blood Services. Only Canadian Blood Services, SilkRoad, and the applicant have access to information submitted by the applicant to the applicant tracking system.
Who do I contact if I have questions about a posting or the submission process?
If you want to know more about a career with us or how to apply, please send us an email at email@example.com.
What is the working language?
The working language at Canadian Blood Services is English. Some positions do have additional language requirements, other than English, and these requirements will be indicated on the job posting. Fluency in English is a bona fide occupational requirement for all positions.
It is recommended that resumes be provided in English to ensure maximum visibility by our recruiters. Resumes provided in French will be translated by our internal translation department. Our selection process, including applicant pre-screening and interviews, is in English.