Development Laboratory Assistant
Join Canada's Lifeline!
We’re seeking a Development Laboratory Assistant to join our Vancouver netCAD Blood4Research team.
Be part of a dynamic, innovative, collaborative, diverse and caring organization committed to saving and improving the lives of Canadians. We are the connection between the sincere generosity of donors, and the heartfelt appreciation of recipients. Thousands of Canadians depend on our programs every day for reliable access to safe blood, plasma, stem cells, organs and tissues.
In this role, you will be responsible for supporting component production and quality testing on a variety of projects. You will work independently or within a team on projects serving internal and external stakeholders.
Are you ready to embark on a meaningful and inspiring journey, where what you do matters? Be part of Canada’s lifeline. Because we can all be the reason, the connection, that keeps Canadians living.
Supports the planning and effective operation of the netCAD product and process development laboratory.
- Planning and conducting experiments in accordance with established procedures or approved study protocols
- Performing blood component processing (red cell, plasma, buffy coat and platelet pools) and distribution tasks in accordance with established procedures, study protocols or for the development of new procedures and products
- Performing the provision of blood and blood products to CBS affiliated and external researchers
Supports the planning and effective operation of the netCAD testing laboratory.
- Performing blood product quality testing
- Utilizes a variety of laboratory equipment, techniques and procedures
- Set up of new equipment and create laboratory procedures as needed
- Participates in problem solving and data analysis as required
- Provides technical training as needed
Supports the effective operation of the netCAD Blood for Research Facility.
- Ensures all procedures are carried out according to Operating Procedures or Study Protocols and in compliance with GMP requirements where required
- Performs work in accordance with the provisions of the Canadian Blood Services Corporate Health and Safety Policy and Procedures
- Perform administrative tasks as required
- Order laboratory supplies and maintain records
- Ensures equipment and supplies are quality controlled and appropriately documented
- Maintain chemical inventory and updated MSDS
- Maintain document control and training records
- Provides input and feedback on the development, validation or implementation of new procedures, equipment and/or policies
Education, Training and Experience:
- Post-secondary school level education
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered
- Minimum 2 years related experience working as a laboratory assistant
- Certification as a laboratory assistant desirable
- Experience with blood component processing preferred
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Ability to work safely and efficiently in a laboratory environment with biological and chemical hazards
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Good skills in planning, organization and attention to detail
- Experience with a variety of laboratory methodologies, equipment and pipetting
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office
- Minimal decision making
Salary Range: $52,000 to 58,000
Canadian Blood Services offers a generous total rewards package including:
- Generous vacation allotment
- Comprehensive Group Health & Dental Benefits
- Choice of Defined Contribution or Defined Benefit Pension Plan
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.
*Please note that only candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with us.
Questions and Answers
Is my application secure?
Canadian Blood Services uses a third-party applicant tracking system hosted by SilkRoad. SilkRoad may access the information submitted to the applicant tracking system in order to provide support to Canadian Blood Services. Only Canadian Blood Services, SilkRoad, and the applicant have access to information submitted by the applicant to the applicant tracking system.
Who do I contact if I have questions about a posting or the submission process?
If you want to know more about a career with us or how to apply, please send us an email at email@example.com.
What is the working language?
The working language at Canadian Blood Services is English. Some positions do have additional language requirements, other than English, and these requirements will be indicated on the job posting. Fluency in English is a bona fide occupational requirement for all positions.
It is recommended that resumes be provided in English to ensure maximum visibility by our recruiters. Resumes provided in French will be translated by our internal translation department. Our selection process, including applicant pre-screening and interviews, is in English.