Become a Donor
Welcome to the Canadian Blood Services website. Becoming a blood donor is easy. To become a donor follow the steps below — if you have any questions along the way, please feel free to call 1 888 2 DONATE (1-888-236-6283) or send us your questions through firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The first step in becoming a blood donor is determining your eligibility. For your convenience we have provided a section on basic eligibility and those factors which may lead to a temporary or indefinite deferral. These are located in the left-hand menu under “Can I Donate?” and it is a good idea to review these prior to each and every donation. It is important to understand that many variables can determine whether or not you can donate and that final eligibility determination rests with donor clinic staff.
- Next, you will want to find a location closest to you. Canadian Blood Services operates 41 permanent collection sites, 11 bone stem cell donor centres and more than 19,000 donor clinics annually. Some people prefer to submit a “New Donor Form” to initiate the process of becoming a donor. Once we receive this form, it is forwarded to the donor clinic closest to you. Staff at the clinic will contact you and invite you to donate blood — offering to book an appointment for you.
- If you prefer to initiate the process yourself, you can select “Book an Appointment” from the left side of the page to book an appointment for donating blood. You will need to register for an account to book online. Please have your donor card ready if you have donated with Canadian Blood Services before. You can also book an appointment for giving blood, plasma or platelets by calling us at 1 888 2 DONATE (1-888-236-6283).
- Most donor clinics offer appointments and we encourage you to make an appointment to reduce any waiting times you may experience.
- Before making your first donation, you may wish to review our section on the “Donation Experience”. This is housed under our “Donors” section and will give you the information you need to prepare for the donation experience.
Canadian Blood Services is committed to making the donation process the best it can be. If you have any comments or concerns regarding any part of the process, please share them with us by e-mailing us through email@example.com.
Please give blood.
1 888 2 DONATE (1-888-236-6283)